Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Listening to the Nonhuman Voices

This morning, as I mix my used coffee grounds into the soil of my potted plants to serve as a fertilizer,I find that I am more conscience of my behavior in relation to the nonhuman world after thinking about this week’s reading.


Gary inspecting the broccolli on the porch.


 As I write this post, I am on my porch watching my cat, Gary, go through his morning ritual of inspecting the plants in my small vegetable garden.  He sniffs them, visually inspects each plant, listens to the bugs in the soil, and then chooses one to sit behind and watch the events in parking lot unfold.  His ears perk when birds fly overhead calling to each other, when the bullfrogs croak to announce the sunset, and when people walk by telling their dogs to “go potty”.  I realize that we can all learn from him, because Gary listens when “another” species speaks. 


Baby Basil that grew on its own amongst the other Basil plants.
I realize that even my small garden has spoken to me. The basil plants certainly enjoy the spot I have placed them because they have produced tiny offspring (a personal gardening victory), which I will soon move to their own pot. The broccoli plants emit a distinct sweet smell, informing me that they will flower; and the jalapeno plant lets me know that it enjoys the hot weather by producing equally “hot” peppers. Finally, the baby spiders now living on the heads of broccoli seem to be doing quite well eating the black flies and tiny white bugs that were munching on the broccoli. I am thankful for the spiders, and will relocate some of them to my habanero plant because aphids have moved into its leaves.  
As I imagine that the parking lot underneath my balcony is actually a community garden where I could plant the potted plants on my porch, I really do see how important it is to abandon the patriarchal ideology of domination over nature, and embrace a heterarchical view of nature and a bioregional cooperation with nature that allows local sustainability.  Because humans and nonhumans are all connected, I now understand that every step in the direction of volitional interdependence will have positive effects.  
~Blake and Gary =^.^=       

No comments:

Post a Comment